What Happens at the Greek Festival Stays at the Greek Festival

>> Monday, May 12, 2008

First and foremost, nothing happened at the Greek Festival, save for the fact that my assistant principal bought me delicious Greek beer and told me that if he could be anywhere during the school day, it would be my classroom, being entertained by my teaching. That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me!
I had absolutely no intention of blogging tonight. I am tired. It is Monday. Those sentences are synonymous! But I've started reading the latest book club selection, Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer and quite honestly have never been so disturbed by anything I've read in my life. Since graduate school, I've become an avid reader. I consider this a blessing because it calms my mind (normally) and builds my vocabulary (somewhat). The problem with reading for me is that once I start reading a text, I am absolutely committed. Under the Banner of Heaven, from what I can tell 100 pages in, is a documentary of the Mormon faith with a focus on Mormon Fundamentalism. I don't really understand any form of Fundamentalism. I went to a college where Southern Baptist Fundamentalism was somewhat evident. It bothered me then...the appearance of being so intense about faith that there at some point is a departure from Truth. So tonight, as I set the book aside and prepared for my devotions, it became apparent to me that what I crave, what I long for, and what I seek is Truth.
All of this was running through my mind as I flipped open by Beth Moore Study, David: 90 Days with a Heart Like His (shameless plug) and and my trusty Schofield to read about how the Israelites rejected God (not Samuel) when they asked for a king; they genuinely wanted something that was not in God's plan.
Humble me, Lord, that I might accept YOUR way and not my own. That I would let You be King. Samuel always obeyed. Guide me through the doors You have opened. Let me not kick down the ones I'd like to see ajar.
"Faith sometimes means forgoing our desires because we trust Christ to have a better plan for our lives." (BM)
Truth can very easily be whatever one makes it out to be. That is the essence of faith. But faith in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ means that I accept that it is He who brings Truth. Not Joseph Smith. Not Oprah. Not Dr. Oz. Not spiritual leaders with their own agendas.
As I have typed this, Weezie has wet the bed. I will have a classroom full of 21 eager and dependent 8-year olds tomorrow. My coffee will begin to percolate at 6:00am. My rent check will be 5 days late because I could not find a Forever stamp. These are all truths.
But, praise the Lord, these are minuscule truths compared to His grace, Love, and Plan for all of us. May we "see that times of difficulty or decision in our lives are meant, by Your sovereign love and mercy, not to pressure us into impatience but to rather grow into patience and endurance."

2 comments:

Mel May 13, 2008 at 5:58 AM  

I read that book this winter and I was equally disturbed. It did, however, keep me from becoming engrossed in the latest polygamy scandal.

kellybollman May 20, 2008 at 8:05 PM  

I love your last line.
dog gone -they (the post office, that is)suckered me in with the cute stamps & now I'm hoarding my remaining forever ones like gold - ridiculous
good word, though, kortney

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP