Sheryl Crow is Also a Strummer

>> Saturday, May 24, 2008



When I was 14, I bought a vintage Ibanez from this podunk music store in Cheraw. I don't know how to pick out notes, I don't know how to change strings, but in 12 years, I've figured out how to strum out some pretty heavy chords and have even accompanied elementary students in "Lunch Lady Land" (hogies and grinders, hogies and grinders, navy beans, navy beans, meatloaf sandwich...). Last fall, my dad sent a letter. He's a man of few sentimental words. I've always known that he loves me more than he can express, despite the fact that I was pretty rotten to him growing up. We don't ever talk about how much we care for each other. I don't thank him enough for what he continues to provide for me. We only hug when I'm done throwing everything back in my Jeep to drive back to Charleston after a too-short weekend at the parents' house. Anyway, in the mass letter to four of his six children, Dad wrote "please don't ever forget the importance of worship and of having worship be a primary focus of your life." He also wrote about geraniums and retirement and his blood pressure, but it was his plea for us to embrace our Lord through worship that had a great impact on me. I share this with the one and a half people who read this blog because as of late, when I am looking for "productive" things to do, I find my guitar in my hands - strumming the chords to Hosanna or Mighty to Save. And while I don't sing along (I'm a hummer), for the moments that my fingers are growing calloused on the strings of my vintage Ibanez, I am transported to a place of praise. At night when I am too weary to open His word, I turn to my ipod and pray that God would receive my praise through the words that the musicians sing for me. My parents gave me the gift of appreciation of music a long time ago. I hope that they know how much that appreciation, and the $150 vintage Ibanez that I had to work for through dish washing and leaf-raking has changed my heart. So now, to my one and a half friends who read this: please don't ever forget the importance of worship and having worship being a primary focus of your life. It is through worship that we gain intimacy with Our Creator, Our Redeemer, Our Savior.

My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, Lord, will I seek. Ps. 27:8

5 comments:

kellybollman May 24, 2008 at 5:03 PM  

I wonder if I'm the one or the 1/2. jk :) keep writing. and thank you. I have a song playing right now, and I'm not singing, but my heart is all in it!
ps - i think it's awesome that you can play chords. The only chords I play are straight up Ina Cassidy -style

Kortney May 24, 2008 at 5:44 PM  

Ida Cassidy used to smack my hands with her Bic pen because I couldn't read music! My parents sent me a Lisa Frank spiral notebook that she wrote notes about my horrible playing in. They were NOT nice notes! You're the one, by the way.

Mel May 27, 2008 at 5:55 AM  

Then I'm the half!

Ryan and Mar May 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM  

Hello Kortney. This is Mar. I truly enjoy your blog...it always makes me smile! And don't worry about becoming a redneck...you'll just fit in more "completely" up here in western PA...if the Lord so blesses you with a move in this direction. How did you get the background picture for the blog?

Jeff June 6, 2008 at 4:48 AM  

you're blog is inspiring and uplifting. I just read everything from may and was reminded of so many things that are important to me that I forget on a daily basis like the intimacy that comes from paying attention to my new favorite musicians and really focusing on the lyrics (please go to air1.com and click "listen now"), or the urgency with which I should remain cognizant of other people's circumstances and pray for peace to be each one of them, or even that Christians and beer are not mutually exclusive. Speaking of which, when can we expect to see you in Ft. Bragg???

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP